Chocolate gingerbread Swiss roll
Are you still looking for a delicious and easy dessert for Christmas? Then you've come to the right place. A chocolate gingerbread Swiss Roll is always an excellent choice at Christmas dinner! It is deliciously light, fluffy and 100% vegan, organic AND nut-free! Discover our secret recipe and introduce your family and friends to its rich and delicious taste!
Ingredients (for 8 to 10 people)
For the ganache:
- 150 grams of FOODIES-PLANET® Dark Chocolate
- 60 grams of vegan butter
For the sponge cake:
- 60 ml aquafaba at room temperature
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 50 g applesauce at room temperature
- 30 grams of coconut yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground chia seeds
- 80 gram organic flour
- 15 grams organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp organic cornstarch
- 3/4th tsp baking powder
- 1/4th tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 1/4th tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2th tsp gingerbread mix
- 1/4th tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp organic cocoa powder
- 120 grams of soft vegan butter
- 300 grams of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4th tsp ginger
- A pinch of cinnamon
For the decoration:
- Cocoa powder
- Icing sugar
- Fruit of your choice
Let’s get s24tarted!
For the Swiss roll:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and cover a baking sheet measuring 23 x 33 cm with baking paper
- Mix the applesauce, yogurt, vanilla extract and chia seeds in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate, xanthan gum, gingerbread spices and salt.
- Then pour the aquafaba into the small bowl and start mixing. After this, add the sugar spoon by spoon to the mixture until you have added everything. Next, mix on medium-high for 5 minutes until the mixture is shiny, white and thick.
- After this, add the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture in 3 equal parts. Make sure to keep as much air in the mixture as possible. Stop mixing as soon as the batter is fully incorporated.
- Next, pour the dough onto the baking sheet and spread the batter to about 20 x 30 cm. Flatten the top of the dough. The idea is to spread the dough evenly. Bake for about 7 minutes until the cake feels springy to the touch.
- Immediately sprinkle the top with cocoa powder and cover with a tea towel or linen cloth. Turn the cake over using a cooling rack. Remove the baking sheet and gently peel the baking paper from the cake. Sprinkle the cake with cocoa powder again and immediately begin rolling the cake with the linen cloth or tea towel.
- When the cake is completely rolled, let it cool on the cooling rack for 30 minutes.
For the buttercream:
- Meanwhile, start with the buttercream. Add the butter in a bowl and use a mixer to beat the butter until smooth. Gently add the powdered sugar, aquafaba, vanilla extract, cinnamon and ginger and beat the mixture until smooth and fluffy. After this, whip for another minute to make the mixture even fluffier.
- After this, unroll the cake very carefully and quickly to avoid cracks. It does not matter if small cracks appear, try to avoid large breakages. Smooth the buttercream onto the unrolled cake. Leave a small border around the cake and make sure you fill the cake the same thickness everywhere.
- Then gently and quickly roll the cake back up. If there are any cracks, press them together. Then wrap the Swiss roll in cling film and let it cool in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
For the ganache:
- To make the ganache, bring the cake out of the refrigerator. Add the chocolate and butter to a heatproof bowl and place bowl in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until the mixture is glossy and smooth. Then let the ganache rest for about 10 minutes so that it thickens slightly.
- After this, carefully cut off the ends of the cake to make the cake prettier. Place it on a serving plate and pour the ganache over the Swiss roll so that it drips down the sides.
- Finally, decorate the Swiss roll with some fruit, icing sugar or something else of your choice.
- The cake may be served immediately or can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
You may also like this